Leather sofas embellish the beauty of the home; hence, people usually keep a set of them. For proper maintenance of this useful upholstery, one must hire professional leather sofa cleaning services from time to time.
They are durable and easily manageable. You can easily wipe away pet hair and most spills on a leather sofa as its fabric does not absorb anything as quickly as fabric upholstery. With the help of regular care, you can use your well-constructed leather sofa for decades.
Types of Leather on Sofas
There are several types of leather used for sofa making, and their quality largely decides how the cleaning must be processed and finished. To clean a leather sofa effectively, one must be aware of the material it is made of.
- Pigmented or Protected: Manufacturers coat the natural leather with a polymer that has dye pigments for the creation of more durable, least susceptible, and scuff-resistance leather fur furniture.
- Aniline: A sofa made up of this full-grained hide is known for its ability to see the imperfections and pores of the hide. Aniline leather is extremely soft but does not contain a protective coating that can prevent the finish from being stained.
- Semi-aniline: This leather is known for its thicker protective coating. In comparison with aniline, semi-aniline is more stain-resistant and more durable. It is also less expensive than aniline.
Before hiring professionals for upholstery cleaning services, make sure you are aware of the leather used to manufacture it. Making a smart choice can save your fabric from any potential damage.
Step-by-Step Guide On How To Clean a Leather Sofa
Step 1: Remove Dust and Debris
- Regularly dusting and cleaning with or without a vacuum cleaner can help you keep the leather sofa clean and shining.
- It would be best if you use a vacuum attached to an upholstery brush because this combination helps capture unwanted dust, dirt, and pet hair.
- The crevice on the vacuum is efficient in reaching narrow areas between and under cushions. A microfiber cloth or disposable electrostatic duster can also be put to use for regular dusting.
Step 2: Wipe Grime
- With the help of mild cleaning solutions, you can gently remove maximum stains from the leather.
- To avoid the risk of damage, it would be better to hire leather sofa cleaning services as they have expertise and years of experience in upholstery cleaning and stain removal without ruining its fabric.
- If you are planning to carry out the stain removal task yourself, all you need is mild soap, some warm water, saddle soap or a bar of Ivory, and a microfiber cloth.
- Take a bucket or a small bowl of warm water and create a cleaning solution using a small amount of liquid soap. In case you are using a soap bar, dampen the microfiber cloth and rub it over the surface of the soap bar.
- Start with stain removal in small areas from the top of the sofa, and wipe down each part properly. You should thoroughly wet your cloth and make sure it’s not dripping. For areas like sofa arms where soil accumulation is higher, try gentle circular motions that can trap all of the soil. Rinse and wring the cloth often during work.
Step 3: Buff to Shine
- After cleaning off the soil, you have to wash the leather. The use of water in large amounts can damage the leather and, even worse disolour it. So, it would be better if you use a dry and clean microfiber to wipe the surface.
Step 4: condition Dry Leather
- If your valuable upholstery is losing its luster and started feeling stiff and dry, the time has come to choose from reliable upholstery cleaning services and restore the suppleness of your leather sofa.
Sustainable Cleaning Tips For Leather Sofa
- Vacuum clean your sofa at least once or twice a week.
- Wipe out any spill instantly.
- To prevent fading or cracking of the leather, it would be best if you keep your leather sofa away from direct sunlight.
- If you are sweaty, avoid sitting on a leather sofa because the leather can absorb your body oils and cause discoloration and stains.
To keep your leather sofa shining like a fresh one, dust it weekly. Hiring reliable upholstery cleaning services such as Spotless Upholstery Cleaning can also be beneficial. We also suggest you clean up any spills and stains on the sofa immediately.