Like anything else in your home, your upholstery is something that is very dear to you. And you definitely would want to use it in the long run, and for that you have to maintain and keep your upholstery clean. The furniture is one of the most used things in the home. When the kids come from their school, they straight away jump on the sofas. Or, when you or your significant other return from the office, the couch is the very first thing you attack. You lie on them carelessly, eat on them and sometimes you fall asleep on them. Many times, you spill your drinks while lounging (which need to be treated immediately). You usually don’t notice, but your upholstery bears a lot. But, it’s high time now, you must give a thought to clean your lifelong assets.
Here is what you should do clean your upholstery.
Step 1: Vacuum Your Upholstery
Vacuuming your upholstery is the basic care it needs and should be carried out on regular basis. This way, you can keep your upholstery protected from dust and other molecules. Vacuuming is very helpful in keeping the upholstery healthy, which ultimately extends its life. Even in the case of old and dried stains, vacuuming does the wonders. This simple action is extremely efficient in fading the stains.
Step 2: Look For Upholstery Cleaning Instructions
The furniture can be manufactured using different materials and need different cleaning practices. Hence, it is important to check the cleaning instructions on the furniture tag where the cleaning codes are mentioned. These cleaning codes give you the idea, how to clean your upholstery. These codes are the letters W, S, SW, and X.
- W: W stands for water. This means you have to use water-based cleaning solutions, such as a mixture of water and soap.
- S: S stands for the solvent. This means your upholstery needs to be cleaned using solvent-based solutions. These solutions do not contain water. Dry cleaning solutions can be their perfect example.
- S: W This means you can use solvent and/or water-based solutions to clean the upholstery.
- X: X means you can neither use water nor solvent-based cleaning solutions for upholstery cleaning. Such kinds of furniture are cleaned with only vacuuming and light brushing.
In case, there is no tag on the furniture, which can be the case with antique pieces, make sure to do a hidden test on your upholstery.
Step 3: Try Steaming
If your furniture can be cleaned using water, then steaming is a nice option to loosen and break down the stain. This makes treatment easier.
Step 4: Start Cleaning
If you are lucky enough to have your furniture cleaned with water, following these simple steps will help you get rid of stains.
- Mix the little amount of dishwasher with cold water.
- Bring a sponge squeezed with the soap solution.
- Blot the sponge over the stained area. (Do not rub)
- Wash the sponge and blot it onto the stained area with clean water. (This is to extract the soap solution).
- Use a clean cloth or paper towel to press dry the treated area.
If your upholstery cannot be cleaned with water, using vinegar or vodka is the best option. Apply either of them on a cloth and blot the affected area.
Step 5: Use a commercial stain cleaner
If the stains on your furniture are stubborn and not going away with homemade cleaning solutions, use a commercial stain remover. Make sure you get the best stain cleaner depending on the type and fiber of your furniture. (Don’t forget to do the hidden test before applying the remover directly on the stain.)
- Blot the stain using the sponge with the stain remover.
- Wash the sponge and blot it over the stain again with the clean water.
Step 6: Repeat the Process
In case, the stains on the furniture are tougher than you have thought, you have to go repeating the process 5 once again. This can be annoying and definitely takes extra efforts, but you don’t have any choice.
These are the steps you have to follow for upholstery cleaning. In case you are not confident that you can remove stains from the furniture on your own, hiring the professionals is recommended. Spotless Upholstery Cleaning is available in your service around the year offering you quality upholstery cleaning services at the best prices. Call us and get your favorite upholstery cleaned now.